Having a baby coincided with me retraining my hair to only need a good washing once a week. I’m assuming many moms feel this way. And there are days (more than there are not) where you don’t have time or want to put in the effort to really style your hair. So here are some quick mom approved hairstyles I’ve found to be my favorite over the last year and even more so in the last week.
This is one of my go-tos especially if I’m working out a bunch. It’s great because it keeps ALL the little baby “mom bangs” (what I cal the new hair that grows in while you’re pregnant or on prenatal) out of my face and contained. Steps:
- Part hair all the way down the back into two sections
- Starting near the part on the first side select a small section close to the center and begin your braid
- As you progress use the french braid hairstyle (gathering additional hair each time a piece moves to the outside – see a good tutorial HERE) until all hair on the first side is in your braid pieces
- Finish the braid, tie elastic, and then gently pull braid apart to give it more fullness (I have SUPER thin hair so mine always look tiny)
- Repeat on the second side – I usually pull out a few pieces to give it a messy look if it’s for running errands or leave them tucked away if its for a workout
This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE quick up-do. I wear it when I run errands, when I workout, when I have formal events, to work, the list goes on. It’s super easy once you get the hang of it. Steps:
- Side part hair to preferred side
- Similar to the pigtail braids above – select a small section of hair close to the part on the “larger” side. Begin braiding and pulling in additional hair french braid style as you progress. DO NOT put the full side of hair into the braid – try to keep it close to your face about 2-3″ wide
- Once the braid is done secure with elastic
- Pull remaining hair back into ponytail at the base of the neck and tuck in the braid
- Twist hair into a spiral around the hair tie and secure with bobby pins making a low bun at the base of the neck. VOILA!
Lastly, my signature pony. I love a good high pony (blame it on the years as a cheerleader) but there are a few tricks to the perfect pony. Steps:
- I like to pull out a few pieces around my face before beginning
- Pull remaining hair into a high pony tail (I like to flip my head over and collect all the hair near the top of my head)
- Pull out 1 small piece at the back near the neck (should be one of your longest pieces of hair)
- Tie remaining hair with a hair tie and tighten (I like to pull the hair on the top of my head out a little for more volume/poof but thats a personal preference)
- Wrap small piece of hair around base of ponytail to hide the hair tie and secure with bobby pin
- MOST IMPORTANT HACK – take an additional bobby pin and put it UNDER the ponytail loop side up through the hair tie. It will kind of dig into the tie/scalp and make a “prop” for which the hair can rest on. This will give it MUCH more volume and keep it looking fresh all day instead of falling flat
Hope you guys like these fun looks and try them out. They really are life savers when you’re busy and on the go. Comment below if you try them and let me know what you think.
Shop my look HERE